Wednesday, February 25, 2009

安美汀 和牙齒變色 Augmentin (amoxicillin + clavulanic acid) and brown teeth stains

It happened again! My 9YO daughter was prescribed liquid Augmentin for her pneumonia. From my experience with Augmentin, this drug causes severe staining to the teeth. When I first brought this to the attention of my daughter's dentist and pediatrician when she was 4, no one believed me. Everyone just assumed that it was poor teeth-brushing on my part. It's hard to convince people that the brown teeth stains have nothing to do with poor dental hygiene. I called up the maker of Augmentin and did research on the internet, but I couldn't find a remedy for this brown stain. Luckily, it was time for my daughter's bi-annual teeth cleaning, and afterwards, her teeth becomes sparkling white again. I was quite relieved realizing that the brown stains caused by Augmentin are only surface stains. But I just wish parents are warned about this when they receive the drug from the pharmacist.

Over the years, I have formulated a way to minimize the brown stains caused by the intake of liquid Augmentin.

1. I make sure my child doesn't take Augmentin right before bed time;
2. She has to drink and rinse out her mouth after she takes Augmentin;
3. She must brush her teeth with toothpastes that has whitening formula;
4. I also arrange to have her teeth cleaned as early as our dental insurance policy will allow.

We are lucky that we have a dental insurance policy that allows for free teeth cleaning twice a year. Imagine families that have no dental insurance, how can they afford to get their children's teeth professionally cleaned after taking Augmentin?!

Next time, if my children have infections which require the treatment of Augmentin, I'm going to ask for the drug in pill form.

No comments:

Post a Comment